Morovis is located in the northern part of Puerto Rico and has an area of 100.3 square kilometers (38.6 square miles). Some believe that the name of the town comes from a Taino name for the river that runs through the northernmost wards of the town. The phrase used to evoke Morovis is “The island except Morovis,” which originated in a cholera epidemic that devastated Puerto Rico in 1853. Historical records show that Morovis was the only municipality where no cases were reported, and every time the topic was mentioned people would say “All of the island, except Morovis.” According to the 2000 census, there are 29,965 moroveños. The wards are Barahona, Cuchillas, Fránquez, Monte Llano, Morovis Pueblo, Morovis Norte, Morovis Sur, Pasto, Perchas, Río Grande, San Lorenzo, Torrecillas, Unibón, and Vaga. Our Lady of Mount Carmel is the patron saint, and the festival in Her honor is held in July.
Today, the economy of the town is based on agriculture, cattle, and light manufacturing, including needlework. Crops include coffee, tobacco and fruits and vegetables. Cattle are raised principally for dairy use. According to 2002 statistics, there were 314 farms that grew tobacco with an annual harvest of 8,919 hundredweights, and 24 first class dairies, producing 8,343,864 quarts of milk.
The municipality is located in the humid northern hills, and the northernmost part of the territory is located in the karst area. Morovis is bordered on the north by Vega Alta and Manatí, on the south by Orocovis, on the east by Vega Alta and Corozal, and on the west by Ciales. Since the land is very fertile and well irrigated, there is significant agricultural activity. The highest elevations include mounts Purrón, Malo, and Quirós, located in the southern part of the municipality.
There are several rivers in Morovis, including the Río Grande de Manatí and its tributaries: Bauta River, and Sana Muerto River, as well as Las Animas, La Mina, Perchas, del Muerto, Los Cabros, Minas, Riachuelo, Grande de San Lorenzo, Suro, Riego, Quintero, Pozo de Magala, and del Guano brook. The territory is also irrigated by the water bodies associated with the Cibuco River: Unibón and Morovis rivers (tributaries of the Indio River), the Las Carreras River and the Monte Llano brooks (tributaries of the Unibón River) and Honda, La Casimba, Grande de Morovis, and Fránquez brooks (tributaries of the Morovis River).
In 1815 a group of residents of the village of Morovis, under the leadership of Juan José de la Torre, began the process of separating the village from Manatí. In the petition they argued that the village was too distant from the municipal seat and that the poor condition of the roads made it difficult to attend Mass and to benefit from the assistance of the authorities. In 1817, the government approved the separation, but the residents had to wait another year for the actual founding, while they complied with population requirements and building a church and other public buildings.
Further construction progressed, steadily which allowed for the creation of new wards. By 1835, Morovis included Fránquez, Morovis, Morovis Pueblo, Río Grande, San Lorenzo and Unibón wards. Eighteen years later, given the increase in the rural population, Barahona, Cuchillas, Monte Llano, Pasto, Perchas, and Torrecilla wards were created. Pasto first disappeared and then reappeared years later. Vaga ward appeared in 1878.
The Morovis flag is divided into two equal vertical parts. To the left there is an eagle on a yellow field, facing to the right of the flag. There are seven equal vertical red stripes on the right side of the flag, which also has a yellow field.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of this municipality is divided into three parts. The left has an eagle on a yellow field, representing Saint John the Evangelist, in honor of the town founder, Juan Evangelista Rivera. The right side has five Puerto Rican cuatros, a kind of guitar, on a red field. The center is emblazoned with the coat of arms of the Carmelites, in honor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, patroness of the town. A brown-colored castle with three turrets and red openings crowns the coat of arms.
Places of interest
• Covachuelas caves
• Siña Carmen Cave
• El Mamingo Pond
• Azul Pond
• Los Machargo Bakery
• Cultural Center Diógenes Colón Goméz
• Torrefactora Agrícola coffee roasting facility
Angel G. Quintero Alfaro – Professor, writer and essayist. Dean of general studies at the University of Puerto Rico(1950-1958) and secretary of education (1962-1968).
Baltasar Corrada del Río – Resident Commissioner (1977-1984), Mayor of San Juan (1985-1989), and supreme court justice judge (1995- until present).
Zaida R. Hernández Torres – Member of the House of Representatives (1985-1996) Was the first woman to be elected president of the House of Representatives (1993-1996), judge of the appellate court.
José del Río de León – Mayor (1913-1920), representative (1929-1932) and senator (1941-1942).
José Rivera Barreras – Prosecutor and superior court judge in San Juan.
Heraclio Rivera Colón – Teacher and senator for the district of San Juan( 1949-1964), member of the Constitutional Convention that drafted the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico constitution.
Manuel Joglar Cacho – Lyric poet. Some of his works have won awards from the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture.
Monsignor álvaro Corrada del Río – Auxiliary bishop of the Diocese of Washington, D.C. and Bishop of the Diocese of Caguas.
Graciany Miranda Archilla – Poet, writer, journalist, and essayist.
Juan Ocasio Rodríguez – film and theater actor
• Homage to Don Felo – May
• Patron Saint`s Festival in honor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel – July
• Cuatro Festival – July
• Day of the Holy Innocents – December 28
Text taken from enciclopediapr.org
Ayúdenos a describir todo lo que su municipio ofrece a las Industrías del Turismo y Negocios.
Favor enviar sus textos, fotografías y videos a: