Known as the «Town of the Beautiful Sunsets» and «Surfing Town,» its residents are called «The Surfers.» Its patron saint is Santa Rosa de Lima. Rincón is visited by thousands of tourists each year. During the winter months, huge whales arrive at its coasts as part of their cyclical migrations.
There are 14,767 rincoeños in Rincón (2000 Census). The municipality is divided into the sectors of Rincón Pueblo, Atalaya, Barrero, Calvache, Cruces, Ensenada, Jagüey, Puntas and Río Grande. Its territory covers 14 square miles.
Among the principal industries are tourism and manufacturing. Chemicals, electronic equipment, scientific instruments and clothing are produced in the municipality. In the past, livestock and sugar cane farming were the main economic activities. Today, the only agriculture is fruit.
Located on the extreme western point of the island. Rincón is bordered on the north by the municipality of Aguada and the Mona Channel; on the west by the Mona Channel; on the east by the municipality of Aguada and on the south by the Mona Channel and the municipality of Añasco.
This municipality is part of the region called the western coastal valleys, which is uniformly flat. Its alluvial soil is very fertile, and rain is abundant from May to November and scarce from December to March. Rincón also has some ridges from the San Francisco mountain range. These are located in the extreme southeast, in the Atalaya and Jagüey sectors. The Atalaya peak, at 1,187 feet (362 meters), is the highest elevation in Rincón. Other peaks are found to the southeast but they are of lesser elevation. Topographically, the most significant geographic feature is the Córcega valley.
Its hydrographic system consists of the following bodies of water: the Grande River, Córcega River and the Rincón lagoon. The Grande River, which forms the border with the municipality of Aguada, begins in the Jagüey sector and has a length of 9.7 kilometers (6 miles).
There are also various streams, including: the Llano, the Altura, Los Ramos, Punta Ensenada, Piletas, Caflo García and the Grande de Calvache, which is the longest at 7 kilometers (4.5 miles).
Among its most significant geographic features on its coast are the Cadena, Ensenada, Higuera and Gorda points.
The name of this municipality is said to come from González Rincón, the former owner of the land that today belongs to the town. In the beginning, it was known as Santa Rosa de Rincón.
The exact date of the founding of the town is uncertain. According to the Planning Board’s supplementary records for the municipality, it was founded between 1770 and 1772, during the administration of GovernorMiguel de Muesas. At that time, the town had 210 families and was part of Aguada. In 1789, a parish church was built and was devoted to Santa Rosa de Lima.
In 1831, Rincón consisted of the sectors of Pueblo, Río Grande, Cruz, Jalaya and Calvache. In 1878, those sectors were sub-divided. The municipality was then organized into the sectors of Pueblo, Cruz, Río Grande, Punta, Ensenada, Atalaya, Jagüey, Calvache and Barrero. At the same time, Rincón had five streets.
Rincón retained the same organization of its territory until 1898. Interestingly, in 1894, the first civil wedding ceremony was held, something that had never before been done on the island.
On March 1, 1902, the Puerto Rico legislature approved the law for the consolidation of municipal terms in Puerto Rico. Under this law, the municipality was annexed to Añasco. In 1905, the Legislature revoked the law and the municipality of Rincón was restored.
In 1948, the Puerto Rico Planning Board reorganized and expanded the urban zone of the municipality by annexing the Ensenada sector. The name of the Cruz sector was also changed to Cruces.
The municipality benefited from land that was appropriate for agriculture and, until the middle of the 20th century, sugar cane was grown there. One of its central sugar mills was the Córsica, founded by Domingo Rafucci, which had 400 cuerdas of land and produced 12,000 sacks of sugar. Also in the municipality was the Fussá plantation, founded in 1872 and owned by Baldomero Rosado, and the Juanita plantation, founded in 1886 by Juan Angel Rodríguez. By 1974, the cane grown in Rincón was processed in the Coloso Central sugar mill, operated by the Puerto Rico Sugar Corporation. In that year, 24,301 tons of cane were harvested, which produced 1,947 tons of sugar. At that time, raising livestock was a secondary activity.
On August 15, 1964, the use of nuclear energy began in the municipality. It was generated at the Nuclear Bonus Electricity Plant.
For decades, six beaches have made Rincón a winter mecca for surfers, ever since the World Surfing Championship was held on its beaches twenty years ago.
Also in the winter, hundreds of tourists come to Rincón to witness the migration of humpback whales, which are in danger of extinction.
The flag has a white star that represents the urban zone. The nine stars around it allude to the nine sectors in the municipality. The red and orange colors symbolize the vigor and vitality of the city and the yellow symbolizes Christianity. The green represents the vegetation and the hope for the municipality’s progress. The white alludes to purity and the unity among sectors and the urban center.
Coat of Arms
The coat of arms consists of a Spanish style design in green and orange with a yellow band angled from left to right. On the left, on the green background, is a cross, symbolizing Christianity. On the right, on the orange background, is a depiction of a Spanish ship, a symbol of the discovery of Puerto Rico. The colors represent the vegetation and hope and the yellow alludes to Christianity. The band below has the inscription «Municipality of Rincón.»
Places of Interest
• Domes Beach
• María Beach
• Punta del Mar
• Higueras Point Lighthouse
• Desecheo Island National Wildlife Refuge
• Sun Garden
• Plaza de Recreo
Domingo Bonet Santos – Senator who was distinguished by his service to the community.
Juan Sánchez Martínez – Decorated soldier in World War II, member of the United States Navy and first Puerto Rican named Commissioner of Human Rights for the state of New York.
o Patron Saint Festival – August
o Whale watching – January and February
o Traditional Festival of the Humpback Whale – March
o Surfing season – all year long
o Rincon Triathlon – June
o Ultimate Dirt Challenge – March
o Rincón International Film Festival – April
o Coconut Festival – May
Text taken from enciclopediapr.org
Ayúdenos a describir todo lo que su municipio ofrece a las Industrías del Turismo y Negocios.
Favor enviar sus textos, fotografías y videos a: